Duty Now For The Future
Now its time to look forward and see if I can make a few prognostications and predictions – just for the hell of it. The 4th Quarter of the year is a big deal – lots going on – Holiday Season, ending one year and getting ready for 2020. Here are some facts and thoughts:
- CCPA starts January 1, 2020. This means the data driven companies in the SF Bay Area will be shitting bricks – most are nowhere near prepared. Expect lots of panic. I will be sitting in the Cat Bird Seat on this one. I will be very busy, but will still squeeze in 2 weeks of vacation time. My reward for keep on keeping on this year and rising above a terrible situation from my old place of work. I will be crazy busy all the way through 2020 because of the juggernaut that CCPA is. This is a hole new IT market that I will end my career on
- Free Range QRP 300 – yeah, Fall and Winter conditions on 40M will make this a ton of fun. I’m already really surprised how easy it has been to work DX during the summer at the bottom of this Cycle – its very encouraging, with no DX Doldrums here – who would have thought QRP could be a bottom of the cycle blues buster!
- 3Y0I – I predict it will happen and that I will work them. (Well, OK – they will make another honest attempt like last year anyway). Working them is my only DXCC dream. Heck – I guess the French Team could announce they have permission to activate Glorioso! More dreaming – I’m really much better off chasing the FREQ 300 . . . big comfort in that . . .
- Global Recession – it won’t be what Trump and his ass kissing lackeys will say or do – the world wide recession will start in Europe – and be announced in September – with Germany showing that it is in one already – and there will be a domino effect – the UK will be in very serious bad shape especially due to Brexit – (shades of the US) in fact, but much worse off. People will stop spending in the US – and Trump will get the blame for his tax cuts, skyrocketing deficit, and trade war. If he did nothing at all – he’d be in much better shape. This recession is so long overdue, Trump will be blamed but it is more of a cyclical thing, actually. The Tariffs will cause Inflation and prices to rise – people will stop spending – it will start showing up this Holiday Season. His (non-rich) supporters will be hurt the worst, some will turn on him. The longer he stays in office, the longer there is a chance he ends up being the Great Pariah
- Climate Change / Global Warming will have more dire effects on man. Drinking water will become scarce – migration patterns will be affected by this for sure. Low lying areas will start to see rising sea water. Places will bake and flood even more
- Green Energy will rise up – solar and wind especially
- Weight Loss – I will get to my first big weight loss goal by the end of the year – or early next year. Since this is a change of life behavior – when isn’t important – it WILL happen, and in due time
- Guitar Playing – I will continue to improve and enjoy it just for the sake of playing and enjoying it
- Retirement – my wife will get a lot closer to retiring, and we will both be happy that I still love my work and see no (near) end to it
- House and Rental prices in the SF Bay Area will drop – due to people leaving and also the looming threat of recession. We will have to wait another 4 – 8 years before things climb back up. Oakland will become fully gentrified
- A handful of Companies will start leaving San Francisco – it is way too over heated here – and young people can’t buy houses or even rent. All kinds of strange places will become magnets – like Omaha and Detroit. San Francisco will just become a bastion of CEO’s – they will live there and have offices and their workers will be in the hinterland. Oakland will end up a lot like San Francisco – but not as severe. Richmond will be the next Bay Area City to be colonized – so not everyone will leave – but enough will to start leveling the scale. Inland Central Valley towns will end up becoming a lot more Blue as many leave the Bay Area for Stockton, etc – places that offer proximity to the Sierras. As these young tech workers colonize these traditionally Red areas – they will become more Blue – like what is happening to Texas – all because of Austin
- There will be a big wave of consolidations – especially in the Fintech space